Thursday, July 2, 2009

Brady is doing well and has been maintaining his breathing for the past 3 days. He gained weight today...he is up to 2 lbs. 6 oz. He really needs these little weight gains because it is making him stronger. The nurses have all been getting a kick out of him the past couple days. Somehow???...He has been turning himself over when he gets tired of being on his tummy or back. He is very particular about how he wants to be positioned...he certainly has to be comfy:) Preemies are put on their stomachs, sides, and back alternatingly because it helps with their breathing. Brady does enjoy being on his tummy, but when he is over it...he is OVER it! LOL! He will push his little tiny arms and legs until he is on his back or vice versa. He is a wild man. It really is amazing. The nurses want me to get a disposable camera and leave it at his bedside. Brady also gets very mad when the two bigger babies in the room cry. He makes faces and grunting noises like he is telling them to 'Be Quiet'!
Today, I was able to hold him for about an hour and a half skin-to-skin...they also call this "Kangaroo Care". I was in a rocking chair and he was placed on my chest. He LOVED it. He snoozed the entire time without fidgeting and his oxygen levels were between 95-100 percent. I really enjoyed it too:) He is so precious. Anyway, research has shown this type of nurturing to be most effective for preemies in promoting growth, improving breathing, and overall general development. I hope they let me hold him this way tomorrow too;)
Thank you all so much for your continued prayers. We are truly blessed.
Karissa

4 comments:

  1. I am so happy that he is doing great...I love the blog, so that I can read about his progress...I have left you a couple of messages(last week, we are in Florida this week) and now that I can read this and know you are both doing good I am a peace(you know I am a worrier like you). I love you and pray for Brady to continue to be a strong little Barr!!! Hope to talk to you soon. xoxo, Andrea ps...remembering Delaney has a bday next week, can't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad Brady is doing better! He'll be bigger then you before you know it, LOL
    Continued Prayers!

    Sherri, Freddy & Joseph (Ava's Angels)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karissa, this is beautiful. I am so so happy for you guys! Love, Lauren & Justin

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful news! I'm so glad he is doing so well now. I can't wait to see everyone next week...especially little Brady for the first time. Love, Aunt Candy

    ReplyDelete